.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Matt's Daily Blog

Monday, October 17, 2005

Weekend of Mud

So it is Monday and that means race report time. As is true of most Monday mornings, I am cracked. Actually, beat up is a better description. This past weekend was the first stop in the NECCS (New England Championship Cyclocross Series) in New Gloucester, ME. This course is typically very difficult and the deluge of rain we got this weekend made it borderline miserable. I am bruised, battered and have some very sore tendons.


Highlights:
The start was not exactly UCI regulation . . . there were about 15 guys on the front line on the grass. No complaints from me since I was able to get a second row start (no points, no call-up) and was on Mark McCormack’s wheel. If you have to be in the second row, it doesn’t get any better. My start was okay, but not great. I was probably slotted in 20th or so thru lap 1.

Lap 2 was my down fall. I came unglued on the running sections. Not sure what happened, but I couldn’t run. I was literally going backwards at times and came thru the end of Lap 2 only to hear my wife scream “31”. It was a tough reality: 31st place, less than 40 starters, almost the caboose only 15 minutes into the 60 minute event. When she screamed 31, she said it with plenty of “read between the lines” attitude. As if to say “get your head out of your ass boy”. It was a good wake-up call. I started to convince myself to charge forward and not just settle in and mope.

Lap 3 , I found my rhythm. I was taking faster lines, running better and tagged onto a group of 3 or 4 guys. I took a bike change on Lap 3. (That was pro.) It was a smooth exchange and it seemed to breath new life into my legs. And I began to march forward.

Long story short, I ended up 24th and was pulled with 1 lap to go. I caught two groups and was able to go thru both groups for a semi-respectable result. I nipped Mike Magur (B-Men series champ from last season) at the line. He had pretty much sat up, but I wasn’t sure if we were going for the last paying spot so I gave it a go. Turns out we both got paid. He was racing well and will be a good gauge for me in the coming weeks.

So in general my melt down came earlier this week thank weeks past, but was shorter in duration. Good sign for the weeks to come. I am constantly revising my goals as the UCI/Elite ranks were a total unknown at the beginning of the season. Currently, the main focus needs to be finishing the race on the lead lap. Only 15 guys finished on the lead lap. If I can get closer to the lead lap, my results will just get better.

Sunday: Wicked Maine race . . .couldn’t get warm or warmed up. Started, rode 2 laps, then went to the car. I should have never gotten on the bike that day. Listen to your body: Lesson learned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home