.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Matt's Daily Blog

Friday, February 24, 2006

The Blue Ridge

Note to self: next time I come to train in VA, BRING A 12-27 CASSETTE!

Yesterday was right up there with one of the best days I have ever had on a bike. We did a 100 mile, 6.5 hour ride with 3 major climbs. It was totally sweet. I had terrible legs right from the start, but the terrain was killer, it was sunny and I think we saw 10 cars all day. We rolled for 25 miles and hit the first climb (no idea what it was called), then we rolled some more and hit Montebello. Montebello is a 5 mile climb that kept pitching up and up and up. I felt pretty good at the bottom so I went too hard. I straggled in well behind the boys. I rode a 12-25, wished I had a 27. Bionic boy rode a 12-23. Here is a photo from the Montebello store.



From there we continued to climbed and then dropped down Irish Creek Road. It was a dirt/mud/ice/snow road that decended for miles. It was epic. Once off the dirt we continued to descend for 12 miles. Sweet. The last climb was Vesuvius. It is 7 miles long with switchbacks. Here is a photo of me coming up the climb.


Ward was far enough ahead of me to stop, take a photo, and then drop me again. I would like to throw it down on this climb when I have fitness. It was so sweet.

Anyway, it was an amazing day, you get the point. We have two more days left. We have 21+ hours in the last 5 days and looking to get 8 or 9 more. Weather seems to be cooperating: today sunny and 53, tomorrow sunny and 61. I hear it snowed at home last night. Hopefully there will be Nordic skiing when I get home.

1 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Wow. Sounds like an epic ride! I am thoroughly jealous. :) Beam me down there!!
Right now it's f'n COLD here. 23 mph wind and gusts up to 35 mph, and I'm trying to motivate myself to go out and do my sprints in that howling wind. (and motivation's not coming around to me beneath the warmth of my down comforter with a good book in hand.)
tomorrow it's supposed to be 24 degrees and snowing... perfect conditions for a 4+ hour ride, huh? at least there might be some snow for xc skiing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home